Importance of outdoor activities for kids
We know kids should play outside, right? Right….so what are some great outdoor activities for kids of all ages?
If you need a refresher on WHY they should play outside you can read this article about the ever growing importance of outdoor play.
Also, check out one of my absolute favorite movements. The 1000 Hours Outside Challenge which was created to counteract the fact that we are loosing approximately 1200 HOURS of childhood to SCREENS. This challenge encourages us to match screen time with outdoor time.
But outdoor activities for kids are hard…
Sometimes they would rather sit inside and watch T.V.
Or it’s raining.
Maybe it’s too hot.
Or you don’t have a backyard so you struggle to find outdoor activities that you could easily enjoy.
Or you love being outside with your kids, but you can’t, for the life of you, think of anything new to try.
Here is a list of 30 articles that provide some great outdoor activities for kids (even when it’s raining, too hot, too cold…..)
- 100 Simple Things to do Outside with Your Kids
- 25 Ideas to Get Your Family Active Outside
- Nature Activities for Teens
- 30 Simple Spring Outdoor Activities for Kids
- The Ultimate Gear Guide
- How to Hike with Kids and Actually Enjoy It
- Nature Walk Must Haves
- 5 Ways Kids Can Experience Science This Summer
- 10 Ways to Bring City Kids Closer to Nature
- 20 Super Cool Ideas for Backyard Fun for Kids
- 5 Adventurous Play Ideas to Conquer Childhood Fear
- Getting Started Foraging With Kids
- 10 Tips for Exploring Nature with Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Environmental Projects for Kids Who Believe in Better
- 7 Ways to Encourage Imaginative Play Outdoors
- Outdoor Treasure Hunt for Toddlers
- Outdoor Color Match Activity
- DIY Stepping Stones
- 10 Ways to Tempt Your Kids to Go Outside and Play
- Scavenger Hunt Printable
- 101 Outdoor Family Bonding Activities
- Craft: Decorating a Walking Stick
- DIY Bird Feeder Craft & Bird Watching Tips for Outdoor Fun
- A Backyard Camping Trip – The Best Way To Introduce Kids to the Camping Experience!
- Gardening with Kids
- 5 Things to Bring for a Day in the Park
- How to Create a ‘Yes Space’ Outdoors (When You Don’t Have a Yard)
- 25+ Water Play Activities For Kids
- 9 Must Have Screen-Free Outdoor Toys to Keep Kids Engaged and Learning
- How to Get Kids Outside During the School Year
If you’re looking for more information about the importance of play and tips to reorganize your playroom check out my e-book:
Simply Play: Everything You Need To Know About The Most Important Part of Childhood which you can buy here for only $4.99.
If you like this post and want to read more like it then check out these articles:
Type of Play for Development
Toy for Toddlers: Encouraging Active Play
7 Essential Playroom Spaces (and why you need them)
The Power of Play
What I’ve Learned about Early Childhood Education